Skip to content

Building permit requirements

Find out if you need a building permit and what the requirements are for your project before you apply.

Do you need a building permit

Most renovation, construction or demolition projects require a building permit. You need a permit to make sure your project complies with the requirements in the Ontario Building Code, the Mississauga Zoning By-law and any other approvals you may need.

You will need to meet zoning regulations even if your project doesn’t require a building permit.

Types of projects and required documents

If you’re not sure what the requirements are for your specific project, email or call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) for more information.

Before you apply

If you do need a building permit there are a few things you need to do before submitting your application.

Check the zoning of your property

Before you start a new project, check the zoning of your property to find out if there are any restrictions on what you can build.

Gather forms, drawings and documents

Different forms, drawings and other documents are required depending on the type of your project. You’ll need to submit these when you apply for your permit.

Your drawings must clearly show what is existing and the changes you’re proposing. Drawings must be to scale, and should use metric measurements. We may request additional information when your application is reviewed.

Hire a design professional

It’s strongly recommended that you work with a design professional such as an architect, professional engineer or qualified designer to create complete and accurate drawings that comply with the building code and Mississauga zoning by-law. These drawings will need to be submitted along with your permit application.

All drawings for non-residential and multi-residential properties such as apartments and condos must be signed, sealed and dated by an architect, professional engineer and/or qualified designer.

Find out if you need additional approvals

Depending on the type of project you’re working on and where your property is located, you may need other approvals before your building permit can be issued.

If your property is located on land that’s regulated by a conservation authority you’ll need to get written approval from one of the following, depending on where your property is:

Each conservation authority has a screening map that shows which properties need approval.

If you own a listed or designated heritage property, the Ontario Heritage Act may limit the types of construction or changes you can make.

You can check the heritage status of your property online or contact heritage planning for more information.

If your property is close to a provincial highway you may need approval from the Ministry of Transportation.

Building or development in certain parts of the City is subject to “site plan control” which means that your application may need to be approved by the City’s Planning Division before you receive your building permit.

If your property is located in the site plan control area identified in the Site Plan Control By-law, you may need to apply for a development application. For more information call at 905-615-3200 ext. 4165.

If you’re planning to build or make changes to your property that will not meet current zoning by-law requirements, you may need to apply for approval from the Committee of Adjustment.

How can we improve this site?