Skip to content

Business licensing

All public service counters in the City are currently closed.
All business licenses that have expired since March 1, 2020 will be extended until further notice.
All fines, penalties and late fees have been temporarily suspended for any licence that has expired after March 1, 2020.
New licence applications are suspended until public counters reopen. Complaints related to business licensing will still be investigated.

If you plan to start a new business or have changed the name, ownership, location or category of an existing business in Mississauga, you need to apply for a business operating licence.

If your business has more than one location, you’ll need to apply for a separate licence for each.

If you already have a business operating licence, it needs to be renewed annually.

Before you sign a lease or buy a commercial property for your business, you’ll need to make sure that the property is zoned to permit your business activity.

If you’re taking over an existing business in a fixed location, you’ll need to confirm that the property’s Zoning Certificate of Occupancy is still valid.

If you plan to start a new business, you may need to apply for operating licence if your business activity includes any of the following:

  • Adult bookstore
  • Adult entertainment business
  • Body rub business owner
  • Amusement arcade
  • Auto service station
  • Billiard parlour
  • Breeding or boarding kennel
  • Clothing donation drop box
  • Selling fireworks (also requires a fire prevention inspection and an approval letter)
  • Night club
  • Parking lot
  • Pawnbroker
  • Personal services setting
  • Pet Shop
  • Public hall
  • Restaurant or retail food shop
  • Salvage yard
  • Second hand goods shop
  • Take out restaurant
  • Tobacco sales
  • Vehicle pound facility
  • Lodging house
  • Medical marihuana production facility
  • Methadone clinic or pharmacy

If you plan to start a new business, you may need to apply for operating licence if your business activity includes any of the following:

  • Auctioneer
  • Body rub attendant
  • Carnival or circus
  • Second hand goods shop employee
  • Trader / Hawker peddler

Applicants must apply in person, except for a carnival or circus licence, which can be applied for by an authorized agent.

Business licence requirements

Depending on the kind of business you’re running, you’ll need different supporting documents and approvals. These include (but are not limited to):

For the specific documents required for your business check the Business Licence Requirements Chart.

Depending on the nature of your business, inspections and approvals of your location may be required. These include:

Apply for a new licence

New licence applications must be submitted in person. A business owner or director can provide an authorization letter for an agent to complete and submit an application on their behalf.

  • Complete the Business Licence Application
  • Submit your application and supporting documents and pay your Licence Fees at the Customer Service Counter located at 300 City Centre Drive, ground floor from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

If all of the requirements are met and your documents are in order, your licence will be issued right away.

Renew your licence

Compliance and Licensing Enforcement
300 City Centre Drive, ground floor
Mississauga, ON L5B 3C1

If your licence has already expired, it cannot be renewed. You will need to apply for a new licence.

Contact us

If you have any questions about licensing your business, call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) or email

Give website feedback