Awards won by the City
The City of Mississauga has won numerous awards for various initiatives, services and programs. These awards recognize the efforts, excellence, commitment and achievements of the City and it’s employees and reflect our values of trust, quality and excellence.
City recognized by Forbes as one of Canada’s Best Employers 2020
Forbes, in collaboration with analytics firm Statista, selected Canada’s Best Employers 2020 based on an independent survey of more than 8,000 employees working for companies employing at least 500 people in Canada.
Silvia Fraser recognized as 2018 Security Director of the Year and a Community Leader
Silvia, Manager of Security Services, received these awards from the Canadian Security Magazine for her work in transforming the City’s security division.
Energy in Action Innovation Award for Best Municipality
The City has won this award from Ontario’s leading electric and gas companies. It recognizes excellence in energy conservation and innovation.
The Living City Energy Efficiency Award for City Hall
The Energy Management Team won this award from the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) for their effort and dedication in creating a more sustainable and energy efficient workplace.
Daniela Paraschiv recognized with the Canada Region Energy Manager of the Year Award
Daniela, Manager. Energy Management, received this award from the Association of Energy Engineers for her outstanding accomplishments in promoting energy engineering.
City wins three Projects of the Year awards for construction
These awards from the Ontario Public Works Association (OPWA) recognizes three construction projects completed in 2018.
Mary Ellen Bench recognized with the Professional Contribution Award
Mary, recently retired City solicitor, received this award from the Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA) for raising the organization’s profile in the professional community.
Ovation Award of Excellence for Government Communications Programs
Karen Flores and Catherine Nguyen-Pham from the Strategic Communications Division were recognized by the International Association of Business Communicators Toronto (IABC).
Ovation Award of Excellence for Special Events
Lindsay Francini and Lindsay Noronha from the Strategic Communications Division were recognized by the International Association of Business Communicators Toronto (IABC).
City wins two awards for 2019-2022 Business Plan and 2019 Budget
The City received a Distinguished Budget Presentation Award for excellence in financial reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA). The International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) Canada also awarded the City with a Silver Leaf Award in the Government Communications Programs category.
Mississauga named Top Mid-Size City of the Future
The City received five awards from Foreign Direct Investment (fDi) Magazine, including being the overall winner for mid-sized City of the Future 2019/2021 in all of the Americas for strong economic performance.
Silver Award for Key Sector Brochures
This award from the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) recognizes excellence in communicating information about Mississauga’s geographical attributes and market area prospects.
ISO 37120 platinum-level certification from the World Council on City Data
This certification from the International Organization for Standardization recognizes social, economic and environmental performance of municipalities across the world.
Ovation Award of Merit for Canada’s 150th Anniversary Celebration Program
Awarded by the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), it recognizes events that mark a significant occasion and show strategic alignment, strong creative process and measurable results.
So(cial) Good Award for Be a Good Neighbour campaign
This award from the Registered Graphic Design Association (RGDA) recognizes graphic design from around the world that focus on design for social good.
Merit Award in the Structures category for the Mississauga Transitway
The AIANY + ASLANY Transportation + Infrastructure Design Excellence Merit Award recognizes design excellence in buildings, bridges, tunnels, and mixed-use development.
Continuous Improvement Excellence Award for the City’s Lean program
The Leading Edge Group recognizes the City’s commitment to continuous improvement, including improving business processes and enhancing customer-focused thinking.
Excellence in Municipal Systems Award for Virtual Campus partnership
The Municipal Information Systems Association (MISA) of Ontario recognizes the City’s partnership with University of Toronto Mississauga, Sheridan Collage and CANARIE to develop a free, secure wifi network for students and teachers.
Canadian Award for Financial Reporting for 2016 Financial Report
The City has won this award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for 20 consecutive years, making Mississauga the longest running municipality in Ontario to achieve this honour.
Ovation Award of Excellence for Hickory Drive Crisis Communications Plan and Emergency Response
This award from the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) recognizes programs that address issues that may significantly impact the organization.
Hamish Campbell, Strategic Advisor won the Charley V. Wootan Award
Hamish won this award from the Transportation Research Board (TRB) for his paper “Who Will Own and Have Proprietary Over Our Automated Future? Considering Governance of Ownership to Maximize Access, Efficiency and Equity in Cities.”
Place Marketing Laureate Award for the City’s Brand
This international award from the Place Marketing Forum recognizes the best worldwide practices in the field of place marketing.
HIGH FIVE Accreditation from Parks and Recreation Ontario (PRO)
HIGH FIVE promotes quality standards for children’s sports and recreation programs. Mississauga is the largest city in Canada to achieve HIGH FIVE accreditation.
Youth Friendly Community Designation platinum status
This award from Play Works recognizes the City’s outstanding commitment to providing youth opportunities to actively contribute to their community.
Municipality of the Year Award
This award from Festivals and Events Ontario (FEO) acknowledges the best in municipal leadership, festivals and event partnerships in Ontario.
Municipal Accessibility Award for Staff Accessibility Resource Team (StART)
This award from the Ontario Municipal Social Services Association (OMSSA) recognizes individuals or groups who have shown great leadership in improving accessibility in their city.
Rick Hansen Foundation Accessible Cities Award Circle of Excellence Venue
Mississauga Celebration Square was recognized as one of five national winners of the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessible Cities Award Circle of Excellence Venue.
Silver Award for Best Web GIS (Geospatial information system)
This award from Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA) Ontario is presented to organizations that have demonstrated advanced mapping services that enable publishing and sharing of geographic information.
Most Improved Award for jumping 25 spots on the Open Cities Index
The City jumped 25 spots on the index from 2015, landing in 15th place in 2016. This award recognizes Canadian cities that are moving toward open data maturity.
Most Supportive Employer in Ontario
This award from the Canadian Forces Liaison Council (CFLC) honours employers who have gone above and beyond in their support for the Canadian Armed Forces including hiring reservists and providing leave to allow them to carry out part-time duties.
Toronto Section Project of the Year Award for EA Class Study
This award from the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) recognized the Credit River Active Transportation Crossings study which recommended bridge designs for two new crossings over the QEW and the Credit River.
Salt Award for Safe and Sustainable Snowfighting Operations
Facilities including Mavis Yard, Meadowvale Yard, Malton Yard and Clarkson Yard received awards which recognize excellence in environmental consciousness in the management, storage and application of winter road salt.
Brownie Award for Communication, Marketing and Public Engagement
Inspiration Port Credit won this award from the Canadian Brownfields Network recognizes the rehabilitation efforts of brownfield sites in Canada. Brownfields are former industrial sites that are vacant or underused.
- Ontario Consulting Engineering Award for Lisgar District Basement Water Infiltration Project
- Ontario Public Works Association (OPWA) Technical Innovation Award for Lisgar District Basement Water Infiltration Project
- Smart Commute Gold Workplace Designation
- Ragan’s Content Marketing Awards Honourable Mention for Best Electronic Publication/e-Newsletter
- Canadian Award for Financial Reporting for 2014 Annual Financial Report
- National Co-op Employer of the Year Award for Environmental Services
- Salt Award for Safe and Sustainable Snowfighting Operations
- United Way 2015 Spirit Awards Leading The Way Campaign Award
- 2015 Friends of the Credit Award for Central Parkway Rain Garden
- Mary Ellen Bench, City Solicitor won Osgoode Hall Alumni Gold Key Award
- IABC Ovation Award of Excellence for 2015 City Budget Communications
- Mayor’s Megawatt Challenge Gold Award for Greenest City Hall in Canada
- Public Service Impact and/or Benefits Award for MiWay
- RGD In House Design Award for the City’s brand
- RGD In House Design Award Library’s marketing look
- Mary Ellen Bench, City Solicitor appointed President of International Municipal Lawyers Association
- 2016 FIA Silver Award for Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services Mental Health Strategy
- Graham Walsh won the Sovereign Medal for Volunteers
- Excellence in Economic Development Gold Award for Mississauga Sector Profiles
- Canada’s Best Locations 2016 Award Honourable Mention
- Innovative Management Practices Award for the Geomatics Division
- Lieutenant Governor Ontario Heritage Award for Excellence for the Holcim Waterfront Estate
- Friends of the Credit Award for Facilities and Property Management
- Top Industrial-Commercial Project Award for Streetsville Village Square
- Ontario Innovation Award for City’s Parks and Recreation team
- Mary Ellen Bench, City Solicitor won Award of Excellence
- 2015 Best Practices Award
- Award of Excellence in the Institutional category for River Grove Project
- Outstanding Agency Accreditation Achievement Award for Revenue and Materiel Management Division
- Excellence in Financial Reporting for 2013 Financial Report
- Dan Ferguson appointed Vice Chair of Public Services Health and Safety Association (PSHSA) Council
- 2014 Public Service Commendation Award for Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services
- National Award for MiWay Discover Your Station campaign
- Ranked 10th place overall in FDI Intelligence Cities and Countries of the Future
- Library’s Manager of Children’s Services won Advocacy in Action: Excellence in Children’s or Teen Services Award
- 2013 Award for Transparency in Financial Reporting
- AAA credit rating from Standard and Poor’s Rating Service
- Silver Award in Marketing Effectiveness for Lean at the City video
- AODA 10th Anniversary Champion Award to Accessibility Advisory Committee
- Gold Award for Best Strategic or Creative Development of a New City Brand
- Diversity and Inclusion Award for Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services
- Gold award for WinTheHumanRace.ca and Silver award for business videos
- 2015 Marketing Award for the Business Attraction Video
- Honourable Mention for Site Selection Awards
- MarCom Gold Award for Canada Day at Celebration Square
- MarCom Awards Honourable Mention for Canada Day event at Celebration Square