Skip to content

Newcomer services

The library is free to anyone living, working or studying in Mississauga. We offer several programs and services to help newcomers.

English Conversation Circles can help newcomers improve their language skills and boost their confidence in speaking English.

Commissioner of Oaths can authorize copies of official documents, administer oaths and declarations.

We also offer newspapers and magazines in 60 languages through our PressReader and public-use computers with Internet access and software like Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

Our newcomer newsletter is emailed to subscribers every two months. Go to subscribe to newcomers newsletter to receive the newsletter.

Settlement workers are also available at several library locations to help with settlement and immigration questions. You can also contact Immigration Peel to find a settlement service near you.

Help for young newcomers

Young people with permanent resident status can receive help with their homework, speaking English and learn leadership and social skills through our ‘support for newcomer youth’ program.

Library Storytime programs in other languages are also available at various libraries throughout Mississauga. You can also listen to stories in English, French, Hindi, Mandarin, Polish and Urdu using our ‘Dial-A-Story’ service.

To listen to a story call 905-615-3500 at any time of the day and choose option 5.

Other services for newcomers


Mississauga’s transit service is called MiWay. For travel outside of the City, use Go Transit and VIA Rail. If you want to drive, visit to find out more about road conditions, driver’s licences and vehicle registration.

Health services

The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) covers many health services you might need, like seeing a doctor or visiting a hospital. Apply to access OHIP and receive a health card to use the service.

Once you have your health card, find a family doctor and make sure you know where your local hospital is located.


Learn about Ontario’s education system and find out how to register your child for school.

If you are interested in further education or gaining more skills there are several college or university courses available. You can also apply for adult education and training.

Finding a job

You can contact your local employment service to help you find work. These agencies also provide free assistance in preparing your resume, assessing your skills and providing career advice.

Child care

If you need to enrol your children in child care, the following websites can help:

How can we improve this site?