The Community Recognition Program allows Canadian registered charities and non-profit groups to recognize and celebrate special occasions and events which create a spirit of community, celebrate Mississauga’s diverse cultures and contribute to enriching the quality of life in our city.
Canadian non-profit and charitable organizations can request recognition by a flag raising or clock tower lighting.
- Flag raising and lighting requests must be submitted at least six weeks in advance
- Organizations can select only one recognition option (flag raising or lighting) per year
- Requests must be made annually; they will not carry over year after year
- Organizations must include their nine-digit registration number and/or be included on the Government of Canada’s List of Charities
Recognition items are issued at the discretion of the City of Mississauga. Requests will be reviewed and evaluated in the order they are received. The City of Mississauga will work to ensure approved community recognition requests are fulfilled on the agreed upon date; however, activities may be cancelled or rescheduled at the City’s discretion at any time. In this case, the requesting group will be notified as early as possible
The requesting organization will be responsible to invite anyone they would like to attend their recognition activity including the Mayor and/or Members of Mississauga Council. If the requesting organization chooses to book a room within the Civic Centre to continue their recognition activity, this will be done by the requesting organization
Types of recognition
The City of Mississauga will raise a flag for community or non-profit groups and organizations that meet the criteria in the Community Recognition Policy. The requestor will be responsible to provide the flag.
Flag raisings will be performed on a flag pole designated by the City on the Mississauga Celebration Square and digitally on the Mississauga Celebration Square screens, as available and in rotation with scheduled programming. The flag will be in place for one day (up to 24 hours).
View our full list of City flag raisings.
Clock tower lighting
The City of Mississauga will light the Civic Centre clock tower for registered charities and non-profit community groups that are based in Canada and meet the criteria in the Community Recognition Policy. If you’re representing a charity or non-profit group, you can request a lighting of the Civic Centre clock tower by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your email should include:
- The date you’d like to have the clock tower lighting
- The title and a brief description of the event you’d like to recognize
- Your name and contact information
- The name of the community group requesting the clock tower lighting
- The requesting group’s nine-digit charitable organization number and/or a link to where the group’s name on the Government of Canada’s List of Charities
- The colour(s) you would like the Civic Centre clock tower lit. The requesting organization can choose up to three colours.
The clock tower will be lit for one evening on the approved date.
View our full list of clock tower lightings.