Temporary outdoor patio regulations will be considered at a virtual Planning and Development Committee meeting on Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 9 a.m. prior to the weekly Council meeting.
The public meeting will focus on the temporary Zoning By-law to permit outdoor patios accessory to all types of restaurants on adjacent private and public lands. It also ensures the City meets its statutory notification requirements under the Planning Act regarding the zoning changes.
Virtual Planning and Development Committee meeting. The report will be available online one week before the meeting at http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/planningandbuilding
- Planning and Development Committee
- Members of the public
Wednesday, July 8, 2020
9 a.m. (Prior to Council at 9:30 a.m.)
This will be a virtual meeting. Mississauga Civic Centre is closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The proceedings will be streamed online for the public to view at the following link http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/livestreaming
How to phone in to listen to the meeting:
- Please call 905-615-3200, ext. 5423 for instructions.
How to participate by providing written comments:
- In order to be received by the Committee at the public meeting, written comments must be received no later than 48 hours prior to the meeting.
- Submissions are accepted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mailing the Planning and Development Committee, 300 City Centre Drive, 2nd Floor, Mississauga, ON L5B 3C1.
- Please include your name, your address and indicate you are commenting on the temporary outdoor patio by-law.
- Written comments received before, during or after a public meeting but before a by-law is passed receive the same consideration as verbal comments made during a public meeting.
How to participate in the virtual public meeting to make verbal submissions:
- Advance registration is required to participate and/or make comments in the virtual public meeting. Please email email@example.com no later than Friday at 4 p.m. prior to the meeting date.
- Any materials you wish to show the Committee during your presentation must be provided as an attachment to the email. Links to cloud services will not be accepted. You will be provided with directions on how to participate from Clerks’ staff.
- Residents without access to the internet, via computer, smartphone or tablet, can participate and/or make comments in the meeting via telephone. To register, please call Angie Melo at 905-615-3200, 5423 no later than Friday at 4 p.m. prior to the meeting date. You must provide your name and phone number if you wish to speak to the Committee. You will be provided with directions on how to participate from Clerks’ staff.
Background – Temporary Zoning By-law
The City of Mississauga has introduced a temporary Zoning By-law to allow patios in Business Improvement Areas (BIAs) and other areas where restaurants have direct street frontage and at restaurants located at malls that have their own access. The by-law allows strip mall-based restaurants to use parking areas to accommodate patios, where mall management permits. Restaurants who wish to use the city sidewalk or a public street would need city approval and obtain a modified minor encroachment permit. A patio design guideline and minor encroachment permit application will be available soon.
Patios will only be permitted upon the Government of Ontario providing approval for Mississauga to enter into Stage 2 recovery and meeting all COVID-19 guidelines from Region of Peel Public Health. All patios, temporary or permanent, will continue to be regulated by the Nuisance Lighting By-law (262-12), Nuisance Type Noise By-law 785-80 and the Property Standards By-law 654-98.